Thank you from your winner – Mark!

Students, we want to hear from you too! Click here to go to your profile survey and tell us what you think for a chance to win a voucher!

We asked Mark to tell us about winning I’m a Scientist, and here is what he said…

markkennedyHi there,

I’ll be quite honest with you, I’m still in shock from having won I’m a Scientist, and I can’t wait to get started properly on developing the podcast in my University. I have a production meeting tonight with my co-conspirators, where we’ll be deciding on a website name, hosting services and figuring out what additional equipment we’ll need. I can’t wait to share what we make with you.

I initially entered IAS 3 years ago when I got an email sent around our department, and I signed up not ever expecting to be actually taking part. And now that the competition is over, I wish I could go back and do it all over again. The last 2 weeks have been really fascinating – the questions from you all were excellent, and I hope you’ve all learned something (not just from me, but from all of the scientists who answered your questions). I also want to thank all of the students (and of course, the teachers) for reminding me why I loved physics – making sure I was able to answer some of the questions that you all asked led me back to some of the interesting puzzles that got me interested in physics in the first place (for example, why is time travel not possible? Or what exactly causes a rainbow?). If any of you ever end up pursuing a life as an astrophysicist later in life, get in touch – maybe we could write some papers together!

Also, a big shout out to the organisers and moderators of the competition. This whole event wouldn’t have been possible without you, and I really enjoyed getting to chat with you during the quieter chats (The Science Machine definitely has to happen).

Also, to Roisin, Michel, Gavin and Karen – thank you all for the excellent work you did in the live chats and answering questions. One of my favourite parts of the last 2 weeks was how it never felt like a competition between the 5 of us – we all were just talking about something that we love and have great passion for, and as much as I loved the live chats with the students, I also loved the few chats were it just ended up being some of us, talking about our different fields.

I’ll be sure to send the people who work on IAS a link to the podcast when we’re up and running, so you can all have a listen (and let me know when I get things wrong).

Ciao for now,
Mark

Posted on November 23, 2016 by in News. Leave a comment.